Spousal Support

Will There Be Spousal Support In My Divorce?

Southern California Divorce and Alimony Lawyers

Spousal support is not commonly awarded in California divorces, but it may apply in your case. Although it is ultimately up to the judge, the experienced divorce lawyers of Law Offices of Hall & Lim can provide an educated opinion on whether alimony will be granted in your situation.

Free Phone Consultation  (310) 203-8411

Services in Spanish, Korean, and Armenian

Our Southern California family law firm represents divorcing men and women in the greater Los Angeles area. Contact us today to discuss your case and the likelihood that spousal support will be awarded. We offer a free phone consultation.

Spousal Support in California Divorces

Also known as spousal maintenance or alimony, spousal support is granted at the judge's discretion, based on a number of criteria. The primary factors are:

  • Length of marriage — usually five or more years
  • Education levels — for example, one spouse has a Ph.D. and the other is a high school dropout
  • Earning history — for example, a high-income professional married to a housewife or stay-at-home dad
  • Future earning ability — a disability, "too old" for the workforce

When spousal support is awarded, it is often rehabilitative — extra income to enable the receiving spouse to return to school or obtain job training. The rule of thumb is that support is granted for half the length of the marriage. However, the judge may order spousal support for a shorter, finite period, or in cases of disability or severe economic disparity, for a lifetime.

Our attorneys often negotiate spousal support as part of a divorce settlement. This approach may be preferable to letting a judge decide the matter for you.

Modification of Spousal Support

Spousal support is determined by (a) need and (b) ability of the other spouse to pay. If your ex-spouse has remarried or his or her income has increased, you can petition the court to decrease or end your alimony payments. Likewise, if you are receiving alimony and your ex-spouse is making more money, you can seek to increase the amount you receive. Our lawyers can help you determine whether or not you are entitled to a modification in the level of spousal support you are receiving or paying.

We Will Fight for You

Law Offices of Hall & Lim will vigorously promote your interests. Contact us today at (310) 203-8411 for a free phone consultation. We accept major credit cards and offer evening and weekend appointments.

Contact Us

Law Offices of Hall & Lim

16430 Ventura Boulevard
Suite 200
Encino, California 91436

(310) 203-8411 - Phone
(310) 203-8412 - Fax
Email the firm | Directions